Why we need a fixed IP address
To access a Web site, an FTP server or to any other service on your computer from the internet, your visitors will enter your IP address, a string of numbers with form XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.
But unless you have a fixed IP address (often an optional extra from your ISP), your IP address is dynamic and changes regularly. Not so easy to access your website or other service of your computer (FTP, remote control, game server, …) for example if the address changes all the time.
To overcome this problem, you can use the free service No-IP allows you to create an address like [yourname].no-ip.org that redirects to your IP address. A small program on your PC is then responsible for declaring your new IP address to the service when changing.
Your computer and the services therein will thus be accessible all the time by your no-ip address, even after a reboot or a change in IP.
Next step: Creating a No-IP account
Create No-IP account
You must initially create a free No-IP account.
- See you at http://www.no-ip.com .
- enter your hostname and click sign UP
- enter Email, Username, Password and click create my free account Your email address must be valid because you will receive a mail to activate your account.
Next step: Choose a domain name
Choosing a domain name
Your account is now created. You will be able to choose the address to use and redirect to your IP.
- Sign in to your account
- Click Dynamique DNS
- Click Add Hostname.
- Choose the name of the host and click Add hostname.
- finally, the Hostname is added.
Next step: Install No-IP client with Windows
Install No-IP client with Windows
You now need to install a small program on Windows (compatible with Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP and Vista) to share in the service of your IP address changes so that automatically update the redirection of your domain name .
- Click Dashboard and scroll down after that click Download
- Run the downloaded file to launch the program installer. Click the Next button.
- Run the program and enter your Login information
- Then check the box in front of the domain that you set to sync with your IP address and click Save.
- OK, now the program is synchronized.