To take your favorite software with you, the easiest way is to copy them to a USB key.Thus, displacement, a friend at school, you can use your favorite software by simply connecting your USB stick and running them from the removable media.
But the problem, originally a traditional software is not designed to run on a USB key. During installation and use, files are copied across to your hard drive: in the Program Files folder in Windows system files, etc. If you copy a software as is your hard drive to your USB key, it will not work.
To overcome this, you need to turn to mobile versions of the software. The portable software has been adapted to run on a USB key: no data is copied to the hard disk of the host machine and no files are changed on the latter.
If some software like Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice already available in a portable version, this is not the case of all software, far from it. The solution: Transform a software that you use in portable software to put them on your USB key and take around with you.
That this Word, Excel, Paint Shop Pro, Picasa, Photoshop, Google Earth … you can convert a portable version, with the ThinApp software any software installed on your computer. By putting them on your USB key, you can run them directly from the latter, on any computer, without having to install or copy something on it.
ThinApp is a software developed by VMware for transforming a traditional software to a portable software that you can copy to your USB key. The software evaluation version works for 60 days.
- In your Web browser, go to this address http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/
- In the right column, enter your name, your first name and your address and click the Continue button. This is necessary because the activation key ThinApp will be sent by email.
- Fill in the requested information, define a password and confirm it.
- Check both boxes: I agree to the terms and conditions outlined… and click the Start free trial button.
- Download ThinApp.
- Once downloaded, run the file.
- The ThinApp Setup wizard opens. Check the box I accept the terms in the License Agreement and click the Next button.
- In your mail, open the registration email you received from VMware (note that the message might take fifteen minutes to arrive). Click the link Activate my assessment.
- Your serial number is displayed. Copy it.
- Paste where to recopy your serial number in the installer window of ThinApp, enter your name and click the Install button.
- Once installed, click the Finish button.
Capture software installation to make it portable
To put a traditional software on a USB stick, ThinApp must first examine its facility to know all the files used by the software. If the software is already installed, uninstall it before. reinstall
- Click the Start button, click All Programs, VMware and click the ThinApp Setup Capture shortcut.
- The capture wizard ThinApp is open. Click the Next button.
- Close all software that could interfere with ThinApp and review of software to make it portable. Click the Next button.
- The software analyzes your current system.
- Once the analysis is complete, reduce the ThinApp window.
- Install the software on your computer to make it portable, here we will install Google Earth.
- Once the installation is complete, reopen the ThinApp window and click the Next button. Your system is then analyzed again.
After comparing your system before and after the installation of your software, ThinApp will be able to determine the files used by the software to create its portable version.
- In the window, that appears, check the box to the software or to make them portable.
- Click the Next button.
- Select the option USB Flash / portable media and click the Next button.
- Click the Next button.
- Select the Fast Compression option to save space on the drive. Click the Next button.
- The files used by the software are then grouped together in one place.
- Once finished, click the Build Now button to compile an executable file containing all the software files.
Using the Notebook software
The portable software is now ready. It’ll just put it on your USB drive.
- Then click the Browse Project button to access the list of portable files from your software.
- Click the Finish button to close the ThinApp window.
- Open the Bin folder. Copy the executable file for your software.
- Stick it on your USB drive.
- You can launch the software from your USB drive, regardless of the computer that is plugged your key.